Sunday, February 14, 2010

skiddamarink-gold

I once dated a guy who always told me that he "liked me better than beer." My stock response was "but not more than whiskey." Actions eventually spoke louder than words and that ill-fated relationship ended much later than it should have.

Round these parts now, actions do speak louder than words and I've got myself one awesome Valentine in the Mr. Sophanne. You've read about him in these parts before but really there aren't enough words.

He took the day off to get me home safely on Friday and we had plenty of time to turn our dungeon back into a home. When he arrived at Aunt of Sophanne's he had a dozen roses to give to Aunt. Now I will admit to my suggesting this but what I did not suggest is that he have another dozen hanging out in the back of the car for me. When I got home my car was unburied- free of snow-moved and drivable. Today we are taking a test run on the somewhat rural roads so that I am not terrified of travel tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I'll be driving his truck with On-Star just so I won't be anxious thinking about it all night. Did I mention he's making dinner tonight?

When I express gratitude for such things he says, "It's what we do. I'm on your side. We're in this together." (o.k. now I'm getting all teary-eyed so I'm moving on.)

Olympics. I didn't join any Olympic knitting which is probably a good thing because as I watch my body inevitably and uncontrollably contorts into whatever position I feel the current athlete needs to attain for success. I remember this happening during the Summer Olympics with my legs snapping into toe-pointing perfection as I watched the high dive. I would also do a little duck/tuck move if I felt like their heads were too close to the diving board. It took watching about five luge runs before I realized I could loosen my butt cheeks and that I wasn't going to fall off the side of the chair when the one swooped up close to the lip.

New Knitting phenomena- I've gotten through 3.5 of the seven skeins needed to finish the Kilkenny Cable shawl. I love knitting this. Therefor I have not been doing so. There is some psychological barrier that says "when you finish it you won't be able to knit it anymore so stretch it out." It's like the Halloween Candy of knitting. I want to make it last. Nevermind that I have the Highland Triangle Shawl on the needles ready to go and had to put it down because I liked knitting it better than the Kilkenny.

Instead I got out the 10+ balls of Rowan plaid (a $170 retail value that I scored for $50 at MDSW) that are in a color that will never be an article of clothing ((lavender-fuscia-and a subtle lime green) and began making granny squares. Babette was such a lifesaver during this past weather crisis I decided that another granny square afghan would be the way to go. Plus I can luge while crocheting. No fear of pretending the hook is a ski pole during the downhill events.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Happy Valentine's Day and I'm so glad you are back home. Your description of moving to the Olympic events cracked me up. My SIL is the same way. I love watching her;-D

Anonymous said...

You are a total treat -- love your description of how you watch the Olympic sports. And that Mr. Sophanne? Definitely a keeper :)

Sharon said...

Happy V-day to you and Mr. Sophanne!

Anonymous said...

I still have that song in my head.

Kim said...

Happy Valentine's Day! You crack me up!

Deborah said...

Gotta love Mr. Sophanne!!!!

janna said...

I'm sitting here in my mom's living room, late at night, catching up on blogs, and trying to suppress the urge to laugh out loud while reading your description of yourself watching the Olympics! I do that just a bit, but I would love to watch you doing it!

And Mr Sophanne -- what a guy! ;-)