Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's Saturday... again.

Not really but the last 2 weeks have felt like a boatload of Saturdays with one Monday thrown in for good measure.

What I'm really saying is that there have been some snow days. Every morning we wake up to this:



What you can't see is the snow falling and the usual range of mountain-type geography above the farthest tree-line. Each night I wake up hourly for a peek at the weather. Each morning I wait for Mr. Sophanne to come to the bedroom with a "Seinfeld Soup-Nazi" voice saying "No School For You." It's not so much that I hope for it to be one way or another- I just feel so unsettled in the not knowing. I'm sure this could be a life lesson somehow.

Once the day gets going (which it never really does) I am afflicted with droopy eyelid syndrome- lacking the energy necessary to fill rather than waste the day. Yarn barely appeals to me. Instead I am in some kind of snow-laden amnesiac trance that lifts temporarily when the dog suggests some activity or when Mr. Sophanne comes home. Coffee is useless.

I've created my own Knitting Olympic event- except it's crochet. I mentioned the Rowan Plaid granny square afghan. Here's where it is so far. Each skein makes 4 squares. I've finished 6 skeins and have 6 to go plus a couple of extra for a border. The challenge here is speed rather than skill. Given the trance like quality of my daily existence, will I be able to make the last 24 squares and seam it all together before my mind is tapioca? Later when life is normal again I'll give myself bonus points for major stash-busting. I'm not sure how much stash-busting credit a person can take if she is ordering more from someone else's de-stash while finishing her own.


4 comments:

Sunshine said...

At least you get to stay home with lights and water.

Anonymous said...

I feel ya in the mind turning to tapioca syndrome. I just now got my house back in order. Oh yeah and the not knowing? I hate it. Tell the super to call it the night before and scratch the 6am phone calls!!!!! :-)

Carol said...

you get snow days. I am jealous. granted, I have also not gotten the kind of snow you have. Small blessings I guess

Cindy said...

Poor sweetie. I think not knowing and being on edge waiting all the time takes a toll. Try to think of it as hibernation time. As for stash reduction? Do what you wanna!!!