Friday, November 27, 2009

What I know

about knitting Juno Regina is that I can go for about one chart before my concentration wanes.

I also know that I regularly knit one chart and try another row of the next chart only to tink it out in the morning.

I've become a skilled tinker.





Some of you may notice a slight shift in the pattern between chart 2 and chart 3. This happened before I decided to get all perfectionist on my a$$.

Those of you with really keen lace vision will notice that my stitch count on the needles is off. I can't really tell you if it's by 1, 2 or 3 stitches. I haven't been able to get the same count yet this morning.

I set myself up for this crazy-making adventure by only bringing lace to knit. Isolation from easy knitting is the only way I'll ever actually focus my attention enough to attend to errors. Like I said, I can really outsmart myself. And Mr. Sophanne thought it was the rainy weather that was making me cranky.

If I can find my way out of this latest bungle, I'll begin chart 5A, go to chart 6 and have 200+ rows of relatively mindless knitting to go.

What I've learned is that in desperation I can find a way out of bungles. That's a decent lesson.

The other thing I realized (which was also coincidentally a little message in TNT's "The Closer" last night for anyone who watched it) was that wherever you go, you're still you. The clean and dirty clothes strewn in the extra bedroom, the corner of knitting, the dog bones on the floor, the spaghetti plate of computer cords. The ocean makes some of those quirks a little more palatable, but they travel with you. That may be something I'll look into when home for Christmas break. There's only so much one can learn in a week at the ocean.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I think you've learned a great deal Grasshopper.

Anonymous said...

I think it is beautiful. Most errors in stitch patterns are visible only to the knitter.