Sunday, March 29, 2009

practicing practicing



This is the third time on one of Barbara Prime's critters and I believe that practice has indeed improved my stuffed animal making technique. It actually looks like a bunny.

Beneath it is the u-necked back to school vest from Fitted Knits slowly making progress. With it I am practicing my direction following skills.

I could show you the remnants of my MANY other practice sessions- some frogged- some merely tossed aside in disgust- as I attempt to tame the dark stepchild of my knitting called lace. Hours and Hours of time spent. Nothing really to show. There have been some lessons learned.

My brain is not nearly the sponge I'd like for it to be.

My attention to detail (or lack thereof) suggests that it is wise that I never attempted pharmacy school.

When practicing lace, it's easier to work with sock and dk weight yarn. I tried to combine a more difficult pattern with a more difficult fiber and believe that might be why there's nothing to show for it. Rosemary's "Muir" is set aside with the laceweight for when I grow up and I've got some Elsbeth Lavold silky wool on Mimknits' Adamas Shawl for now. No guarantees. (for anyone keeping track, it's the Elsbeth Lavold that was to be the Eliina shawl which is now frogged)

In addition to the fibery sort of practicing, I've also been spending some time with this:



As a music teacher I am the one who says regularly- "let's practice it, I know that's how you will get better." I wonder if I'm telling the truth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that last photo. Poignant, suggests so many things.

Mary Kathryn said...

Flute now?!? I remember our discussion about piano once, and that if we would just pay more attention while practicing/performing (DUH), we might just get more of the right notes under our fingers(speaking more for myself than you, here).

Virtuous said...

Too cute!!! I just favorited some bunnies and thought 'How stinkin' cute'!!

Looked like a bunny too me immediately so your practice did make it perfect! :) Can't wait to see it with the fixins!

Sunshine said...

I love the critter!!I liked the first ones too! They all need hugs!

Shannon said...

Hello! I came across your blog totally by accident. I don't even remember HOW I came across it. However, I wanted to let you know how much I completely enjoy reading it. You are so like me in some ways and SO like my best friend from college that I feel like I know you even though I clearly don't! Thank you for writing and for the pictures and for all your little tales of children and yarn and doggies w/ big ole' smiles.
Shannon

Deborah-- said...

The bunny looks really cute! I use to play the flute. I picked it up in 6th grade and continued through 8th grade. I still have it, even though I doubt I could really play it anymmore.