Saturday, March 07, 2009

Lambiekins 1.0



While I know he looks plenty cute posed and still in the window, trust me on this one. It was not a smashing success. I used Debbie Bliss chunky cashmerino. (Which is wool, cashmere and most importantly 33% microfiber) I also used size 10 needles.

The stitches were too big and loose from the start but I decided that maybe it would felt a little bit with only 33% microfiber. It did not.

Due to a decided lack of stuffings in the body (I was going for the floppy look not realizing the effect this might have on the neck) what started looking like a noose became a Frankenstein head once I tried to fix it.

I didn't pay much careful attention to the strings when attaching arms and legs, thinking that I would be able to snip them off with carefree abandon after the felting process. Instead, everything just became a little looser and Lambiekins 1.0 looks like a well-worn toy. If you're going for that look, I can help you out.

In spite of all of that, Lambiekins has a special place in my heart.

Barbara Prime is the designer- not that I've looked at a lot of them, but hers are the easiest to follow stuffed toy directions that I've come across. This weekend I'm working on a bear and his/her (not sure yet) accompanying cardigan. Same yarn, size SEVEN needles, lots of stuffings and no felting. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Yarnhog said...

So he's a prototype. Like Lor. Only hopefully he won't conspire with the Crystalline Entity to attempt to wipe out humanity. (If you understood all that, you're as big a nerd as I am.)

flutter said...

that is really cute!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, he's adorable! Nothing says adorable like cuteness coupled with a little imperfection and vulnerability.

Mary Beth said...

OK. He looks a little like Lambiekins Roadkill 1.0, lol. He's cute in a squashy sorta way. I am going to need to make one, but in traditional sheep colors for my desk.

Sunshine said...

don't let Liza Jane anywhere near him.

Erin said...

I love lambiekins!!! SO cute.