Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What was I thinking

I don't drive in snow. Ever. If I can help it.

Fortunately my job has snow days so I can live by this and still function in society.

This morning there was (is) an icy mix on my slip slidy curvy hilly road. Mr. Sophanne needed apple pie and milk for his bedtime snack and it sucks that he had to work today. I also finished Marie's traveling scarf and wanted to end that project. Apple pie, milk, and Marie all live at the bottom of the slip slidy curvy hilly road.

I didn't think it would be too bad. It's hard to tell how the roads are when they don't call a snow day because we're on vacation.

Getting down was not much of a problem- even though the roads had not been treated. Liza was whimpering in the car and that should have been a sign. Could be that she thought she was going to go for a romp around the fairgrounds. Coming home I floored my 6 cylinder mitsubishi diamante with the relatively new tires and was able to slither up the hill at about 7 miles an hour. If I had hit a not slipslidy spot I would have easily been going 75 mph within seconds. Does everyone driving in slippyslidysnowyroads spend most of their time looking to see where the car can be safely ditched or is it just me?

I'm home safe and sound. So is Liza. I didn't get up our 45 degree angle driveway. Instead Liza and I went outside and cleared the snow. There's more there now. Liza ran like a crazy happy snow dog.

She's asleep, Mr. Sophanne has his apple pie and milk, Marie has her scarf and as soon as my heart stops beating like crazy I'm going to watch Twilight Zone reruns on the SciFi channel and knit. Mr. Sophanne can get the second round of snow. I bet we end up with 2 apple pies because he's not going to think I went out in it. HA! It could be worse.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely. Besides the 10-12" we got yesterday, today it is -10℉. I had to reschedule a doctor's appointment and wait to do the errands I had planned for that trip. Gotta stay home in my pjs and wrap up in an afghan and knit. Bummer, huh?

May the new year bring lots of happiness and love and yarn and apple pie to your home!

Knit Witch said...

Whew!! It was so nice outside here yesterday I spent a lot of the day out working in the yard!

YawnOver said...

Were is all de doggie in snow picshures?

-Frisky

Lydee said...

I'm with ya. cars and snowy hills don't mix. hope the car is okay. hope you have a good rest of the day.

Yvonne said...

It is icy and snowing here, too. I think many NYE plans will be canceled, unless the plans were to stay home under a blanket and knit.

Yarnhog said...

My palms are sweating.

I hate driving in snow and/or ice. I'm not thrilled about rain, either. Fortunately, I now live where we don't have any of those.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home safe. I don't mind driving in snow if I absolutely have to. Emergencies and such. I don't like ice.

Have a safe and Happy New Year. I am glad we became friends this past year!!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh I also am always on the lookout for a safe place to go into a ditch--Happy New Year!!

Virtuous said...

Glad you are safe and sound! :o)

Have a Happy & Blessed New Year!!!

Romi said...

Glad you're safe! I think you should just sit home and knit. :)

Happy New Year!

Carol said...

Driving in snow sucks. Driving in ice is even worse. I agree wholeheartedly, if you don't have to...don't.

Sharon said...

Talk about tense driving! I'm glad your guardian angel was looking out for you.