Friday, December 26, 2008

baa baa blacksheep

Such a popular post title but I really did pick up 3 bags. I managed to avoid the crazed, materialistic holiday mess only to fall flat at the yarn store today. Used to be I could buy slowly with knit night happening once a week. Little yarn here- little yarn there. Now? Not so much. I did have a list and I stuck to it mostly.

Two books of note-- after I realized I had 2 favorites from the Fitted Knits book, I took the opportunity to get it. I got some yarn for the Back to School U-neck vest (better late than never) I also got some yarn for the Cozy v-necked pullover. (rav links) The book Ocean Breezes-Knitted Scarves inspired by the Sea jumped into the pile. There's also enough brown, wine, umberish Cascade to my an Adult Surprise Jacket. The way I figure it, I picked up about 6,000 yards of Cascade marinating in bags upstairs. (eep!) I also have about 2,500 yards of noro sock yarn which I want to make a smaller gauged sweaterish thing either using Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top or EPS. There is also about 1400 yards of Debbie Bliss blue tweed to play with EZ's aran sweater.

I've a new yarn buying theory based on wisdom and experience. Everything I've ever knit from Cascade has turned out as close to what I expected as I could hope. It's not pill-y and it doesn't hurt my hands. New Rule until I break it- worsted or lighter.

I'll have some color photos when it's daytime and not raining. I'm also not absolutely married to the above projects so don't be surprised when I change my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very productive trip to me. I mean, you are buying yarn to make articles of clothing right? Clothing is a necessity right? You couldn't possibly go out of the house naked right? And buying the yarn is less expensive than buying an already made item......um ok I'll stop at that one. LOL!

Seriously, I can't wait to see the fiber and the FO's!!

Cindy said...

I'm so excited!! New yarn and books? How cool is that? Thank you so much for the cool pack for Grover. I have had it on him once and he was a tad uncooperative. I will get a picture of him as soon as things quiet down a bit around here. He's still wound from company and weird schedules. It's a bit small, but it'll work! Thanks again. And, don't forget we need pix!

Yvonne said...

And which yarn store was the beneficiary of your falling down???

I am pilgramaging to Sewickley next Saturday with Amanda and Renata. I have Deborah's scarf and must find some Koigu to match the previous color, which looks much to me like some of the tropical fish fabric I have.

Anonymous said...

Oh what yarn store did you go to? Bloomin Yarns snagged me the day after Christmas. I hadn't intended on going but had time to kill before work. I got some wool/silk blend for a fez hat.