Monday, October 01, 2007

Just to tide you over...

I have so many thank-you's to offer up.

First and foremost thank you for the wonderful juvenile humor that everyone shared in the comments two posts ago. I can't begin to tell you how effective it's been. Today was "I eight the sandbox day" and hi-knee day. If there's anyone out there (lurking or otherwise) with more- bring em on.

Second-to Elizabeth- who has a finished tangled cardigan and offered up some wisdom on using stitch holders to hold what my brain can't. Move the stitch holders. But I thought there was a rule in knitting that said "no moving stitch holders." Oh wait, there aren't any rules. I am so close to thinking about picking that tangled mess back up.

Third-the Goddess of Blocking- CPH back and front is blocked. Sleeves are around the bend. Just between you and me, it sort of looks like it might fit. I'm ignoring the fact that there is a hood involved and hoping for the best when the time comes. Also a cheer to the wise person who suggested knitting the back and front at the same time on straight needles. If I make another one, I'm SO going to do that.

And now today's story of the day... a parent in my school came into my room (full of students and class in session) and asked me if I knew "that Columbus Day song... you know, the one with the 4 ships and they sing which one they're on... (singing) who's on the Nina?...." I said I didn't know any Columbus Day songs. Later in the day she said, "yes you do.. it's the one.." and began singing again. I suggested she google it because I was opposed to Columbus Day and definitely don't have any songs for it. Eventually she found what she was looking for except it was missing some of the words she was sure she remembered

Never mind that she said there were 4 ships.

Sharing this with GHB at our "how was your day" session, we thought about what that 4th ship could be and he said maybe it was the U.S.S. Minnow and that's the chorus that she was looking for... (insert singing now) Who's on the Minnow? Where is the Minnow? That might be one of those "you had to be there"moments but I hope not.

The second thought was that maybe she thought the Santa Maria was actually 2 ships, the Santa bearing gifts and able to traverse any cold weather.

Finally I said if she's going to leave out the whole killing all the natives in the new land part, she might as well make it as many ships as she wants.

6 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Maybe she was thinking of the four wise men. Oh, wait. That doesn't work, either.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Can't wait to see that CPH, so close I can taste it!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe she thought the Mayflower was there too.

BTW, I did a hood once, and it wasn't all that bad. Much easier than socks. :)

Anonymous said...

The Three Amigos anyone? You know, that song where they distribute smallpox laden blankets to the Native Americans. Then the Easter Bunny bitch slaps the the Tooth Fairy. La la la la. THAT song.

More juvenile humor, but from high school. Chemistry teacher's name was Stewart Wolf. Everyday Dude 1 would loudly ask Dude 2 what he had for dinner the night before. Dude 2 would loudly reply: "I ate Stew." It was funny maybe once.

Diane said...

Too bad you can't tell the parent what you really wanted to say, "Who gives a crap about a stupid columbus day song. Why don't you do something useful like run out and get me a latte."

Anonymous said...

One of my son's favorite t-shirts has an outline map of North America with the captions: Indian Territory.