Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Spooky Spknit Spknight

In an overwhelming, exhilarating, slightly unsettling turn of events, knit night found me face to face with my psychological doppelganger. Wikpedia suggests that it's the ghost of oneself or an evil twin version. The jury is out on that but it also suggests that it's someone who "walks in your same shoes."

Last week at knit night in a manic flurry of hysterical banter I declared her my NKBFF (New Knitting BFF) Assuming that I, as I am likely to do when recognizing my own cackling laughter and sense of humor in someone else, over-reacted to the commonalities, I wrote it off as "hmm that's interesting."

Last night at my beloved knit night my doppelganger and I were spewing forth words at the speed of NASCAR while everyone else was knitting away in a school zone with students present. So engaged in conversation and cackling (I know I've used that word once but there's really no other way to describe it) were we that I'm not even sure if we were a slightly annoying presence or a show to be watched in amazed confusion.

I guess that's how it works when you make real-life friends (various forms of mental weariness have kept me away from that for the past few years.) For now though it just seems a little spooky, eerie, and Halloweeny.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knit knight is to be enjoyed and you were enjoying, also it's for making new friends and you were doing that too. I bet you were knitting. I say safe zone

Anonymous said...

Once when I was a kid, I saw a girl that looked EXACTLY like me. Same age, hair, etc. It truly gave me the creepiest feeling I'd ever felt. Definitely Halloweeny! Cackle away!

sunshine said...

I like the phrase 'various forms of mental weariness'. I think I am going to borrow it from you.

Anonymous said...

It's so great that you met your doppleganger/evil twin! Let me tell you, I am mentally weary from a weekend at that place that shall not be named.

Yarnhog said...

Isn't it great when you meet someone that you just click with? I find it happens less and less the older I get. As a kid, it happens all the time. For me, it's happened only once in the past 5 years, and she doesn't live anywhere near me.

Anonymous said...

It's great when ya connect with other knitters...or other people, period!! :) Kim is mentally weary...I'm just totally wiped out.

Jennie said...

Heheh, definitely a bit spooky.

Mag said...

It's definitely wonderful spooky! I'm so glad you had such a knit night!

Olga said...

Every time I meet someone who we crack each other up and just want to spend every waking moment together making each other laugh, they move away and we never see each other again. And then it's a desert of humorless muggles again....