Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Knitte Knighte-The M.D. edition

Things l learned at Knit Night-

There's a thing that can go wrong with some muscle around your heel that will give you a stress fracture if you don't get it fixed. Something Plantar.

There's some kind of weird-ass French named disease, often confused by the untrained as spinal meningitis that will leave you paralyzed. One knitter married her husband while he was mostly paralyzed with it but he could kind of nod his head yes and no. They had the ceremony in intensive care. If this happens to you, you can call The National Enquirer and they'll do a story about you. This is only after one quack told her that what he had was completely psychosomatic because the guy didn't want to marry her and if she just left, everything would be fine.

This same knitter said that if they could bottle the feeling that you get when you give birth to a baby, there would be no other drugs on the planet and that she would have had 25 kids if she didn't have to raise them all. That's good to know but I'm not sure why. But if you're pregnant and scared and reading this, well then now you know it too. She also said that while she was squeezing her husband's 2 fingers during the pre-hard labor (she knew the name for it-apparently I forgot all medical terms this evening) that he asked her to squeeze the other hand because those two were starting to hurt. HA! I hope she comes to knit night forever because she makes me smile and laugh.

The Knit Shoppe is hosting an afternoon tea on October 21 and there are drawings and prizes. The chance of an even bigger prize is to be had if you model something you've made from yarn from their store. The CPH has a new deadline.

The ride to and from Knit Night sometimes makes me laugh as much as knit night because my husband is so funny. This evening I told him the cat must have known it was Tuesday and that she wouldn't get to go outside this evening because she decided to rough it outside for the day and not come home this morning. He said it was good to know the cat had a weekly calendar and that she probably realized that it would be my birthday in a month and was planning on good treats. I said maybe she was planning my presents. He said cats don't give presents on birthdays.

That's all I've got. Tomorrow's a mental health day so once I'm done being mental there should be some serious knitting progress to share.

p.s. remember that whole parent/Columbus day thing? She was really a teacher.

13 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hey I'm having a mental health day today as well, let's be mental together!!

Jenn said...

I want a mental health day, too! My work load doesn't agree though...

Is it Plantar Fasciatis? (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) The tendon gets stretched out and causes heel spurs and a lot of swearing and then you get to wear orthotic inserts in your shoes that make you feel like an elderly person. Not that I am speaking from experience or anything.

sophanne said...

Jenn-that's exactly it.

Anonymous said...

Ihad a menatl health day last week and boy was it wonderful. Enjoy yours. A while back at my SnB, oneof the women (a nursing student) was talking about a disease she learned about in class. Edema of the testicles, or something like that. Basically, the nuts swell up to a huge size. REALLY BIG. Much laughter ensued. I made a joke about the dude having a built in hippity-hop. Even now, if someone says the word "Hippity-hop" everyone starts cracking up. No topic is taboo at SnB.

Olga said...

Bottle child birth pain? Is that what she meant? Cuz' the only use for that I can see is to torture prisoners of war.....oh yeah... I guess thats why I had it...and mental health is WAAAAAAY over rated in my book. Insanity makes for much more interesting reading...

Olga said...

Bottle child birth pain? Is that what she meant? Cuz' the only use for that I can see is to torture prisoners of war.....oh yeah... I guess thats why I had it...and mental health is WAAAAAAY over rated in my book. Insanity makes for much more interesting reading...

Olga said...

Du'oh! Stupid blogger!!!!! can't do nothing right! Curse you steave jobs!!!Because its all his fault anyway!

Yarnhog said...

Is it my imagination, or is "Knitte Knightte" getting more letters each week?

I wonder if they can bottle the feeling you get when your kids go off to college?

Oh, and that teacher? Now I understand how we got the government we have.

YawnOver said...

Aw, the Guy Who Knows Everything didn't show up? I, for one, am deeply disappointed :( lol

Anonymous said...

1st one sounds like planter fasciitis

and the 2nd guillain-barre.

Though none of my patients with planter fasciitis every developed a fracture.

My mental health part of the day? Knitting group and wine tonight. Yeah baby!

sophanne said...

you are correct debbie! It was a stress fracture - as opposed to a relaxed one?

Anonymous said...

Your knit night is a bit frightening.

Anonymous said...

Here's a story you can share at your next Knitte Knighte.

After about 47gazillion hours in labor with our older son I had a c-section under general anesthesia. But unbeknownst to me, the medical protocol is to give the mom the least possible amount of anesthesia until the baby is actually out. This is better for the baby. But when I realized I was kind of awake and could hear the OR nurses talking and feel that my husband was holding my hand (he's an RN so was able to be in the OR the entire time) and FEEL THE DOCTOR MAKING THE INCISION (!) I was freaked out, to say least. I tried to squeeze my husband's hand to let him know I was conscious, but for surgery they also give the patient curare (?) or some other paralyzing drug so said patient doesn't move at all during surgery, so I couldn't.

Arghhhhh. This is the stuff of which nightmares and horror movies are made. When I related this all to my husband later he said he could feel that there had been a little tension in my hand but no squeezing.

Child #2 was a planned C-section with a spinal block, so I was awake but totally numb from the lower ribs down. Much better :)