Wednesday, April 17, 2019

It's time to Pay the Piper-

Or at least let her teach what she was trained to teach.

I am sure this topic is wearing and tedious but there was a petty victory today and I must feel good about it.

The most demoralizing aspect of that principal- she turned me into a half-time computer teacher to kindergarteners that don't know their letters yet- deeming this more essential than music education.

Today was the showdown.  I was ready for tense negotiations.  I called the h.s. principal ahead of time (to confirm the meeting place).  I also wanted to let him know my position on working 10 hours a day.  Then I suggested that creating two sections of the same class would solve some problems.  I also offered some suggestions to the elementary school principal with ways to keep me there and not at all at the high school. For me there are advantages and disadvantages to both situations.

There was a conference call with the assistant superintendent.  She asked if anything had been decided.  The high school principal jumped in  with my reservations and ideas-not ever suggesting that they were my ideas.

(as a side note, we were in several principal school classes together- he was masterful at taking my analyses of any given group assignment and sharing them as if they were his own.  And while it was annoying as students together, if he's my principal and takes my idea- I don't care who gets credit for it.) 

The elementary principal remained mute.  She said absolutely nothing.  Even after the assistant super double checked to make sure everyone was o.k. with it.

 The final result is that my daily schedule will change from 8:15-4:00 to 7:15-3:00 and I will be at the high school twice as long as I was there this year and last- (90 minutes a day- the additional minutes are, ironically enough,  almost the exact amount of time a week I spend teaching computer to the little ones.)
 
Hooray for afternoon dr. appointments!

Hooray home in time for cool classes at the gym!

Hooray for the high school principal was willing to say "we really need you- we have 27 kids signed up for music appreciation and they love you." (and given our past experiences, he knows I'm no fool)

Hooray for the assistant superintendent who said, "Becky, is there a different course she'd like to offer instead of  two sections  of the same course?"

Sorry about your karma elementary school principal who regularly disregards my (and others') skills.

No comments: