Monday, April 22, 2019

Crack me up

My friend CC- from music teaching long ago- bought me a get well Svengoolie long sleeved t-shirt.  It is my shirt of choice on the weekends. Last night I turned off the lights to go upstairs to bed and was briefly startled/terrified to find that it glows in the dark.  Eep!


There are 28 days left with students.  Within those days there are many field trips, testing for grades 3-5 and special events.  These occasions naturally require decision making on the part of our leader.  With leaders past, my input and reminders were welcomed and attended to because said leader usually didn't think ahead.  Current leader, while she looks ahead and sees what's coming is often overwhelmed by what is in the present and fails to attend to said decisions.  She has also, of late been making decisions that leave many a co-worker disgruntled. (far be it from me to call them poor decisions- that would be judgey,)

In the spirit of "school is almost out but not quite" morale, I have suggested a guessing game.  Which number will be higher- The number of poor decisions made or the number of school days remaining?

I considered offering it up as a pool (each entrant pays $5- the one closes to the actual number of ridiculous decisions wins the pot- I would refrain from participating to have an unbiased judge of what may be considered foolish.  And while it seems like fun, I think the only enthusiastic participants will be the secretary, the guidance counselor and myself.  Everyone else is too professional to consider such an activity.

In other "I can't believe how hilarious I am" findings-  I'm sure I've told the story of greathusbandbob's dog Claudia.  She ran away from her caretaker (in Bridgeport, OH) while the family was on vacation only to be found across the river on Wheeling Island by greathusbandbob as he was driving city bus on the island.

While planning for music appreciation class this week, I found that I had taken the tune to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and written The Ballad of Claudia as an example of an assignment for last year's students.  Behold.

The Ballad of Claudia

They were headed to the beach twas to be such a treat
And they had a good friend watching Claudia.
The bright summer sky shined the lights in her eyes
And she couldn’t believe she wasn’t going.
They went down the road with the kids all in tow
Excited to visit the ocean.
But back here at home friend was answering the phone
And that good dog went springing in motion.
She went to the park and she stayed until dark.
She thought that’s where they’d go on vacation.
When they didn’t show up she was one lonely pup
And she went out in search of relations.
When the family returned they saw what had occurred
And the kids, they couldn’t stop crying
Dad said “Claudia’d be found, we’ll go look at the pound
But the family all felt he was lyin.
He went across the bridge where the West Virginians live
He had bus passengers who were waiting.
He hit the last stop and he felt his jaw drop
Because there he saw Claudia sitting
THe passengers swore as she went through the door.
That dog better pay her full fare.
He said “don’t worrying none,  I’m paying for this one”
And he drove home that night in a tear.
Don’t let it be said that your dog must be dead
If she runs away while on vacation.
Claudia’s living proof that that isn’t the truth
Now go spread this great tale ‘cross the nation.




No comments: