Tuesday, April 16, 2019

and yet another reminder

So it's not my intention to turn this blog into a "hooray for me" blog but it is my hope that I can visit these pages to feel good about things that happen.

Mikayla saw me in the grocery store and came running for a giant hug.  This wouldn't seem unusual, except Mikayla is a high school sophomore and while squeezing said "I'm taking your class next year!"  It was just like she was when she was five.  I want to remember that.

It remains to be seen how that scheduled class is going to work out.  The high school and middle school are going to block scheduling.  This means 90 minute class periods (ugh) every other day. Some weeks it's M-W-F, others it's T-TH.  It is scheduled for first period at the high school which will run from 7:30 am - 9:00 am.  Kids arrive at the elementary school at 8:30 and begin their day around 9:00.  If my day begins at 7:30 (which I'm thinking it would actually have to be 7:15 to give me time to get situated), my day is finished by 3:00-3:15ish.

The elementary principal is opposed to this because she doesn't know how to schedule and believes she needs me there longer. I am not at all opposed to this because it means I can actually schedule appointments before 4:00pm

Rumor has it  that they are going to try to get me to take an extra duty contract to cover the extra hours, report to the high school and stay until 4:00pm at the elementary school.  Twenty years ago, that money would have been worth the time.  With cancer and congestive heart failure running its route through my life, I am not one bit interested in the extra money.  Additionally, there is not one sub that will cover a day like that.

 This extra duty contract will be refused.  Especially since the solution is that I take over the beginning band classes and the h.s. teacher (who is fine with an extra duty contract) can show up 2 days a week for some string classes (which can easily be cancelled due to absence).  Of course this means I would no longer be at the high school (which the elementary principal wants and the high school principal is opposed to.) But keeping the high school teacher in the high school schedule and the elementary teacher in the elementary school schedule is not something they have thus far considered.

Tomorrow we meet at the O.K. Corral to hash it all out. 12:30 pm.  My guess is that I will start and finish earlier and the elementary principal will have to work on her scheduling skills.  I can say one thing for sure, she won't be asking me for help.  She made that very clear from day 1.

Also in the news, there is finally a zumba friend. She had always seemed really familiar to me.  Turns out she's Liza Jane's vet.  She's the one who will crawl on the floor with her when Liza is freaking out. And she knits. And, of course, she likes dogs.  And I am a dork and one day after zumba said  "we should be outside of the gym friends."  Except she agreed and has apparently said equally awkward things to people at the gym in an attempt at getting to know them.  More to come.  But it doesn't matter how old you are, it's always really great to make a new friend.   I just have to hope she's a democrat.

And finally dinner tonight.  Instead of buying a seafood sub from subway with witly cucumbers, scary tomatoes that I won't order and a choice between white cheese and yellow cheese, I made my own.  Mayonnaise added to fake crab, sliced cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber and some feta cheese in a wrap was better than anything from subway.  Add a small bag of microwave popcorn, an orange juice with a slip of tequila and you have a hella value meal!

No comments: