Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Signs of the Season

Singing - my 13 member choir was to sing at the senior center today. It is this big.


Except it’s only as big as the left half of it.  The right half is where I get my hair cut.

We went there because there was no way this group could hold their own in front of a gym sized audience.  The center is about 2 miles from the school.  We made this plan in October. I gave my principal a note like this once we knew we were going.





It was to remind her to order a bus (which only she can do and which has to be done at least 2 weeks before the event.). She forgets stuff.  I figured a picture might help.  We laughed.  She (presumably) ordered the bus.  Fast forward to the week after Thanksgiving break. Did we get a bus to the senior center?  Yes, it’s all taken care of.   I removed myself from the equation having done due diligence.

Today there was no bus.  Transportation guy said “it was deleted from the system.” I have my doubts. She forgets stuff. She made phone calls and got permission to drive the kids herself.  Three trips (20 minutes) later we were assembled and singing. Well, sort of singing.  I played a recording of children singing carols and they sang along.  I’m pretty sure the eldercrowd was more interested in the flashing light necklaces we wore.  Which we gave to them as we left because how could we not. I was a little bit afraid of a knock down drag out because there were more elders than necklaces but they worked it out.

Of note is that when the principal informed me there was no bus, I experienced no rise in heart rate or blood pressure. Yet another sign of being old and wizened 

Presents - Olivia (in choir) left this wrapped with a tag that said it was handmade by her.  I think it must have been done on a slim piece of wood.  At first I thought it smelled like nail polish remover but I realized it was glue/paint I was smelling. There really is nothing better than a handmade holy crap this took some time present from a kid.


Decorations - My most favorite decoration on the way to and from work is this one.


I know it’s hard to see but apparently Mary, Joseph and Jesus were originally guarded by a pink troll with a candy cane.  Coming in at a close second is the house that has the huge inflatable sexy reindeer lounging on the grass on one side and the hunter snowman (with camp vest, rifle and orange cap) inflatable on the other side.  That one goes by too fast for me to even get a bad picture of it. But here are some from the internet.



   
Come to find this sells for $77 at the box store but you can’t put a price on style.

Celebrating -Tomorrow night is the gag gift gala at the new restaurant that gets a one and a half star review on Yelp.  I may eat before I go - just in case.  Or maybe at least drink.  I was on the fence about going to the last three. But, there was so much laughing at the last one that I am looking forward to it.  Plus there will be gag gifts. And gag gifts revealed.  This is the first time in 30+years that I have even remotely looked forward to a faculty gathering.










1 comment:

sunshine said...

I want the sexy reindeer!😲