Thursday, December 13, 2018

It’s all fun and games...

Then it’s hilarious.

I will admit to a slight amount of laziness.  But in my defense, there is a reason spirituals have been around for over 200 years.  While the program stays the same (apparently to the chagrin of some parental audience members) the kids learn a new song every year.  One that they will have and love well beyond Christmas.  Repeating a program is a bit of a lazy way out, but every year afterwards, 8-10 people make a point of coming up and saying how glad they are that I was “brave enough to keep god in the program.”

Until yesterday when a parent (who may or may not have had CPS visit them in the past) called me out on it on a parents school Facebook page.  What happened to Christmas songs like Rudolph and the 12 days of Christmas?  Why all these bible story songs you hear in church?  Why weren’t there decorations. It’s the same thing very year. It was better last year when she did Christmas songs*.  The kids looked like they just weren’t into it.  You could tell the kids were having so much fun. School X has a really good program. Etc. etc etc.

* I did change it up to the Rudolphy  program last year at the request of a kid. So saying it’s the same every year but last year was better is hilarious.

I spent last night and this morning trying to get past it, composing passive aggressive responses and generally accepting that while it could get boring for parents, it’s really great for their kids.  But maybe it’s only boring for parents who don’t really look at their kids while they’re singing.

Finally I had some insight.  I’m fairly certain none of them knew I was a member of the group.  So I “liked” the post, näively pretending that it was a polite request for a greater variety of song selection.  I crack me the hell up.  It made it easier for me and it was the least confrontational while still making my presence known.

There were words of support (mostly former students now parents) and finally the page administrator deleted the post saying it was an informational page not a complaint page.  Complaints should go to the proper individuals. I wish I had screen shot the comments.

The dog still loves me and agrees to be on my lap for a little bit nightly.






1 comment:

sunshine said...

But aren't you glad that it is over until next time????? I am sure the kids loved it!!!