Wednesday, October 03, 2018

some teacher I am

My class got booted out of our room and sent to the auditorium this morning.  They needed my room for testing. 

New rule.  If I get kicked out of my classroom, I'm not going to teach.  I'm encouraged to use technology, to have active learning- we have ukuleles and drumsticks as means of active learning.  I do my due diligence to be prepared and then some.  

When I am told five minutes before class I'll be teaching in another space that doesn't even remotely resemble a classroom, I am no longer going to try to recoup from someone else's lack of planning.  I'm not going to redo plans at the last minute.  I won't complain about being displaced. (that's me being flexible) but no longer am I going to drive myself crazy.

End Rant.

Next example.  I was waiting for my Country Heat class to start at the gym.  A pilates class was finishing up in the room.  A youngish boy (maybe 7-8) walks past.  A few minutes later I hear pounding and (presumably) him yelling MOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM at the top of his lungs.  I'm thinking it's an impatient kid wanting his mom to hurry up and finish with class. 

I'm also thinking man-o-day life is going to be bad for that obnoxious kid when his mom gets out of class.  This yelling, crying, desperate screaming continued for about 5 more minutes.  

Finally what he was yelling  changed to "I'm stuck! I need help!"  He had slid into one of the lower lockers, planning to jump out and scare his mom when class was over and he couldn't get out. 

He was easy to find and I "saved" him but jaded teacher that I am, I still didn't believe he was really stuck and thought he was being a drama kid.  Come to find he really was.  Next time a kid is screaming bloody murder for his mother, even if it's none of my business, I'm going to make sure I take a little peak and know whats going on. It's not being nosy.  It's being a good person.

1 comment:

Silvia said...

I could never be a teacher, you are my hero!

Why is the child even in the gym? They're not allowed in mine (except for the daycare) because of liability issues. I'm glad you're a better person than I am, I'd have hauled him out and smacked his ass. Buuuutt, maybe I'd just inform the management that they've got free roaming kids and let them take care of it. If your town is like mine, there are WAY too many gyms with new ones opening all the time, so they should take my feedback seriously or lose my business. LIke I said, you're a better person than me.