Saturday, October 06, 2018

In a day's work

The day started with a k-er walking proudly off the bus to the front doors declaring
I don't miss my mom!

Later that morning the star h.s. football player showed me that he stubbed his finger against his other hand while trying to dab.





In case you're unfamiliar with dabbing

I told him he must have been self-sabotaging  His football player friend declared he was self-dabotaging. That is why I love high school.

We started class by listening to Erwartung by Schoenberg.  It's in German.  There is no tonal center.  It's as if the singer and pianist don't know the the other is there.  I told them they had to pretend they understood German and write the lyrics she was singing.  A few bold ones then shared.  It was hilarious.  The best part was the fact that most of the students eventually offered up their interpretations and we all enjoyed what was essentially each others poetry.

After doing that and then sharing their one measure 4 part rhythm compositions it was time to add to their ukulele repertoire.  I had a plan and I had my doubts.  You just never know.  But, as I distributed the chords and lyrics to Monster Mash, everyone was delighted. Several declarations of "this is awesome." and one sharing a previous experience in middle school with classmates who had never heard of it.

Finally- there are too many in the class to repeat last years Christmas mitten presents so I'm going for something a little smaller.  Their favorite treat to eat are oreos. So I will make a plate of these-


No comments: