Thursday, June 21, 2018

In the heart of summer break.

The only thing I've heard/read that has offered some solace in light of recent events.  My friend Stitchjones posted it.


The first sentence "Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief."  I have lost a good bit of sleep in recent days thinking of those state-orphaned children.  When I do sleep, I wake in the morning with that feeling characteristic of profound grief.  Upon waking up- mind says "hey its a great day"- mind reminds you of the conditions of those kids- sadness resumes.

I have to stay away from it so as not to descent into abject sadness.  But sometimes I have to watch it to bear witness.

Greathusbandbob got a jumpstart to his heart yesterday.  They put him to sleep and shocked him with the paddles and for now he is sino-correct and no longer in afib.  Should it not remain that way he'll undergo freezing part of the muscle via a tube down his throat followed by a pacemaker.  

LSAT- I had been procrastinating.  At first I thought it was due to fear of failure.  But it may be that my brain needed to marinate the thinking process.  Logic games have been my weakness.  When first trying them a score of 0/7 was not atypical.  Today I worked through 4 problem sets and got a 7/7, 4/5, 4/5 and 4/5.  That gives me an 86% which I've got to believe is at least passable. 

Food and exercise- I'd give myself a B- for the week. There were days of no exercise or a bagel (never on the same day) but there have also been days where I followed the rules, went walking even when I was disinclined, and ate the right food even when the wrong one was an option.  That little extra push is what makes it a B- instead of a C+.  The two classes of exercise a day has proven to be mostly unrealistic.  I am intimidated by anything other than the dance classes and two a day wears me the hell out and invites inconsistency.

And finally the knitting.  I bought this yarn at the Waynesburg Sheep and fiber festival. It is cashmere but it is thinner than spiderweb lace weight.


I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking.  My leetle sausage fingers  have been incapable of casting on and knitting 2 stitches each on 4 double pointed needles for this pattern.


It's called Lyra by Herbert Niebling.  There is also an option for a larger version that becomes a square.  I've decided to use this yarn purchased at a Pittsburgh festival.  


It may be hard to see but this is one of those gradient skeins.  I have probably started 3-4 different projects with it.  I'm thinking this may be the one.  It's a no tv-no distraction- quiet time sort of knit and every row that turns out with the right number of stitches feels victorious.


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Thank you for sharing this poem. I also have to keep myself away from the news of the World. Your knit project is going to be gorgeous.

sunshine said...

Is Greathusbandbob doing okay? Please keep me posted.