Monday, February 28, 2011

Crack-a-me-up

So lunch wasn't horrible but that's not the funny part. It was a little runny but I may strain out some of the liquid before tomorrow. Enough garlic makes everything good.

Crack me up part:

I have a former student teacher who is living in Latvia. She received a phrase book upon arriving to help acquaint her with the language. I won't bother with the Latvian translations-(I wouldn't be able to find all of the accent marks necessary) but what follows is what is offered as the standard luggage dialogue

***Edited to add*** My friend reassures me that Latvians speak excellent English and this phrase book is an anomoly- crazy funny nonetheless!

What has happened with my luggage?

We don't know anything about your luggage

The luggage belt is empty.

Probably somebody has taken your luggage. Maybe you haven't had luggage.

Here you are the luggage coupon!

What was in your luggage?

THere were important documents there.

You should have used hand luggage for that purpose.

Can you offer me a set of prime necessity goods?

In this case we don't see the necessity.


If you enjoyed these, I have more where that came from- also if you leave a comment, feel free to do so in a Latvian dialogue style.

5 comments:

JelliDonut said...

The cracking up is necessary!

roxie said...

You should keep the coupon for your luggage with your important papers. Where are your important papers?

My important papers are with my luggage. I have my coupon here.

If you don't do things correctly, how can you expectus to help you?

Yarnhog said...

I think I've had this conversation for real.

I want to know what the "prime necessity goods are" and under what circumstances the Latvian travel people would consider them a necessity.

Anonymous said...

My luggage regularly contains a weeks worth of dirty clothes and a box of tampons. If they want that in Lativia, good luck to them!

Becky said...

Maybe you haven't had luggage.
That's right, maybe you forgot that you didn't bring any belongings with you.