Monday, December 27, 2010

Half Empty- Half Full

I've been reading a-many minimalist blogs. I've got pack rat tendencies like nobody's business. Not quite an episode of "Hoarders" but plenty of "just in case" stuff.

You may remember the purging of this summer. A little free time today brought on some more activity. THe main eyesore in this room (and a home decorating item I find unattractive) were the bins of stash stacked next to the bookshelves. They weren't full, and as it turns out, they weren't necessary. All stash fits on 4 bookshelves. So after some serious rearranging and vacuuming we have the "half empty" part of the room.



A clear open workspace, the ipad connected to speakers with old-time-radio episodes playing, space for possibilities. So very much unlike me and it will be only with great effort that it will remain so.

And now to the "half full" section of the room-



There is some decluttering to be done here but it's a summer project. I don't want to cull until it's easy peasy to dispense of the goods. Cold winter does not lend itself to such an activity. Knitting from the stash is the closest I"ll get until the spring!

4 comments:

roxie said...

I love, love, love to see a home with books in the living area! This tells me so much about the priorities and basic assumptions of the peple living there-in. Can you believe the designers that want to arrange books according to size and color? Madness!

I am not a minimalist and my home will never look magazine-ready. Martha Stewart would run, screaming,from my livingroom. I am creative and organic and find a bit of visual chaos stimulating. Be kind to yourself. Finding a balance is a continual act. Life is like riding a bicycle - never static.

Lydee said...

yea! i'm glad for you! and you may have provided some much needed mojo to get my arse in gear and start decluttering.

Carrie K said...

Size & color for books? Ye gads. (although the shop in SF that did just that for an artist's vision was interesting).

Love the books & yarn! It looks totally normal and really nice. It's when you start pulling the books out of the shelves looking for 'something to read' or yarn for a certain project is when it all goes awry. (And by you, I mean me. That looks like a neat version of my room).

Debbie D said...

Think most of us have to work on our habit of clutter. I happened to read a book back in Spring that really clicked with me for some reason. "Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home" by Sandra Felton. Cant say it has been the end all but it did click for me and I am slowly but surely organizing the house. Really reduces the stress level.