Tuesday, December 22, 2009

more bad knitting and other stuff

My lack of gauge checking continues to confirm my stupidity. Just in case anyone was wondering.

You've already read about this one. The shawl-collared vest that was too small. Going to Ms. Deb in the morning. FairyGodKnitter mentioned trimming the steeks in her vest on her blog and I had an "aha" moment and the inside looks much better.



New in the Gauge Fiasco of 2009-

The Lusekofte Cap that's me underneath it.



from this book-



This terrible rendition is by no means the fault of Charlene Schurch. She said to use size 6 needles with worsted weight. The Encore that I knitted with read 5 stitche to the inch with 8 inch needles. Rather than actually checking for gauge, I knit the extra large with size 7 needles, as the hat was intended for Mr. Sophanne and he has a very big brain-surrounded by and even bigger skull.

This version is the "check for gauge" and more willl follow. It's just so lovely. When I looked through the book I felt like knitting each one. How often does that happen?

For you fixers out there, it's 75% nylon and 25% wool. I don't think there's enough there to felt though I'll probably try it. What posessed me to buy acrylic?

In more news, I believe that LizaJane was probably the dog of Captain Bluebeard in a former life. Do you remember reading about his trusty canine pal "BlueFoot?"



Someone around here (some DOG around here) has been getting just a little antsy with the weather and the lack of w-a-l-k-s (I'm even afraid to type that word without spelling it lest she go into convulsions) In protest she's taken to vandalizing the house while we're away. Today it was the blue printer cartridge on the shelf. Can I just say how glad I am when it's something that Mr. Sophanne has "left out" and not me?

And finally- you know they're good slippers when you can remember and imagine what they'll feel like on your feet before they even arrive. I'm not one to promote products but this was the best $50 I've spent in a long time. They've reinforced the back of the heel where the last pair blew out on me so as long as Bluefoot keeps away from them, just call me Happy Feet.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

It's a lovely hat. Very familiar look, too;-P I'm so glad I'm not alone. Your slippers look comfy! And, lil Miss Liza Jane is probably in a bit of trouble, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hope Ms. Liza doesn't have a blue tongue, as well.

Yarnhog said...

I just laughed out loud so hard my stomach hurts! At what point did you realize you were knitting a car cosy? Or was it only after finishing and trying it on?

Lydee said...

poor liza. arrugh.