Friday, November 16, 2018

I’ve forgotten more than I’ll ever know

I wish blogs had existed way back when.  I also wish I could have laughed at my life a little more better then as well.  I do have a journal somewhere with some documented pre-blog hilarity.  I’ll have to look it up.

In the mean time, here’s a picture of some kids- maybe 20 years ago. The girl in the red shirt in the middle is my good friend and also the pre-k teacher at my school.  I teach her two kids now. I also taught her husband when he was in 5th grade.  None of that is terribly noteworthy except for the fact that while I remembered him, I’ve taught with her for at least the last 15 years and never remembered she was in this class.    


One of her classmates posted it on the book of face and after investigating, I remembered the kid with the glasses. I asked her about it

I know I taught husband, did I teach you too?
Yup. I remember that we got mops and dressed them up and used them as dance partners for the winter program.  It was the best class ever.

I remember doing that.  What you see pictured was the ENTIRE class and there was no way my inexperienced self would have been able to get them to sing in a program..  While she wasn’t one of them, there were several monotones in that group long before I ever learned how to at least try to fix that.  If I remember correctly, I may also have still been in my Ethel Merman singing stage- which isn’t good for anybody.

I’m not sure what dumbfounded me most- that I was just finding this out or that I had forgotten the mop dance partner business. I still think it was a brilliant way to make 8 kids look like 16. The thought of doing that now is hilarious to me. I can’t believe I did.  I may have to get that book of stories out and see if there are others to offer up to the e-gods.

Earlier in the week during parent teacher conferences, two favorites from the past stopped by.  One was recently married.  The other just got guardianship over her drug abusing younger sister’s three children. (All under the age of 5.). The first could always make me laugh.  The second was the first time I ever had a student who looked at me as if I could walk on water.  Something in my way of being connected to and opened up hers.  She made me a puppet when she was in first grade.  I think I must have taught them when I was really getting my music teacher sea legs and was able to enjoy it more. The book of face is all well and good but squeezing the love into those grown up kids filled my heart for the rest of the night.  It was my turn to look at them like they were rock stars.

In those earlier days I would haul out every scarf, puppet, picture book and instrument to bring the creative and happy.  Sometimes I beat myself up for not doing that more now.  And then I think that my time with them is so short and precious that spending too much of it organizing and distributing such things would be a travesty in that effort to make the real connections with them. 

Thanksgiving break started today at 4:00.  The only thing I have planned is to try and make wedding soup for greathusbandbob. He likes the tiny meatballs, there was a “Pittsburgh” recipe on Facebook, and I’ve gotten a lot better at cooking this year.  I feel like I could tackle it.

When it comes to being thankful, I don’t need food and family together to remind me of what my chosen path has given me in return for following it.  I get little reminders every day.  Also I think the second project of the week will be to find that journal of stories.


No comments: