Saturday, November 03, 2018

as always- kids are kids

Last week we had make a reed instrument out of a straw day.

As I began to distribute supplies there were moans and groans about "yeah, I did this when I was in fifth grade..." And then they started playing and then they were in 5th grade again.

Except for the part about soprano alto tenor bass- we were making friends with those vocabulary words and I brought my recorder family to emphasize that most instruments come in families.

They were mildly interested in the sopranino and the alto but when the tenor came out one kid said "that's a big ass recorder."  And I said yes, that is in fact what we call this one.  It's soprano, alto big ass and bass.

Then I brought out the bass and asked what it was called and one kid said "holy shit."  I said exactly- Soprano, alto, big ass and holy shit.

The kid who usually ignores and eye rolls at me managed to smile at that one.

Later in the week the goth artist told me he wanted to draw a picture of greathusbandbob.  I sent him a photo- maybe he'll draw him as a zombie.  I can only hope.

It was Halloween week as well- the look on kids faces when they get off the bus and see teachers dressed up is priceless. The wait for the afternoon party was almost more than they could manage- one third grader, after finding out how long he had to wait said "Time is Heavy."

In other news- WV's state insurance is offering the program "Naturally Slim."  I don't know what it is.  It looks like a gimmicky weight loss thing.  They had to do something after the last healthy incentive program they had ended up asking for illegal information.

It starts on Monday and I received this package in the mail.


A tape measure, a motivational bracelet, peanuts and Pringles.  Only WV hook up with a company that sends Pringles at the start of a weight loss program.


No comments: