Thursday, August 02, 2018

Home but not home.

It was adventure day today.  First a drive to the Ville of Steuben to plan for retirement.  I also stopped at the funeral home to figure out what to do with Aunt if/when she goes.  Come to find they take care of moving things. Whew.  I wasn't looking forward to a Weekend at Bernie's.

After that I drove to Center Market in Wheeling and ate what they called a crepe at a little place called Later Alligator-


It was good but it was more of a pancake than a crepe- it was filled with ricotta, roasted tomatoes, pesto and a few pine nuts.  It was "Wheeling Fancy."

Not wanting to eat two lunches, I headed to Coleman's fish market and brought home dinner for the big guy and myself.  To the untrained eye it might not look like much but it is the only battered fish I will eat. AND it's listed on the LoseIt app which I've started using again (450 calories)






There are a a lot of several a few cute shops in the area.  It's trying SO hard to be cool and hip in a Charleston, S.C. sort of way. I managed to stay out of the antique shops.  The thing about those is that everything looks good when its all next to each other and functions as designer junk.  When you bring a piece of it home it just becomes junk.

There was a gift shop that caught my eye and I purchased this t-shirt. It cracks me up and will be the perfect shirt for field day next year when I do my rock paper scissors station.






When you have places in your dreams, they take on Seussical proportions.  I drove through some of the places I visit at night just to make sure they're real.

I climbed these steps at least once- sometimes twice- a day- no wonder I was so skinny.


The house has seen better days, (at least days where there wasn't a mattress on the porch) but on the stoop just behind the garbage cans and into the road is where summer evenings were spent hanging out with Jeff and Fred. One time Fred killed a frog with a rock in that very spot.  He meant to miss.


I aso drove past the site of my first summer job.  It was once called Good Shepard Nursing Home. Now it is still a home for the elderly but is called Welty.  The mural reads "when my needs changed."  I feel like the bottom half should say "I could only afford this prison."  I never left the kitchen but it was one of the most depressing places ever.  It may have once been a convent, I'm not sure.


I did the obligatory drive past the high school (which is "on the way" to nowhere.)  Just as I was leaving I caught a glimpse of the band rehearsing in a far field. By then it was time to go.  Nostalgia accomplished.  Seussical places confirmed. And all I got was this t-shirt.
















1 comment:

sunshine said...

Sandwich looked good to me!!!
Jeff and Fred who?