Friday, August 24, 2018

Hey wait,

I totally forgot to show you the cutest knitting picture I've ever taken- I wish she felt as sweet as she looks but mostly she was just annoyed that I was taking her picture and stealing her soul.



An update on the school space.  A week has gone by and there has been no dumpster fire in the front of my room.  I figured out how to use the panoramic feature on the tablet so there is this- which is zoomable


At the high school today-

The young lady that wants to see how far she can go- if I'm really who I say I am- was playing the first two phrases of Twinkle Twinkle.  She got to the part that was no longer an open string and said "oh shit."  I laughed and sang twinkle twinkle little star oh shit.  Later as they were talking about "shredding it on the uke" she said "yea, I'm gonna shred this uke and then I'm going to shred your mama."  I laughed, looked at her and the class and said Really?  don't do this to me.  The room relaxed and all was well.

One of the questions that I asked on their music personality survey was What is your earliest musical memory?  Her sister answered Brittney Spear's Hit me Baby One more Time and added only My mom isn't a good person.  wow. Reading that gave me a chance to pause, recognize where the anger, defiance and challenging behaviors were coming from and I could respond in a way that was good for her instead of defensive for me.

And finally- I was walking toward my room before class which had a table of ukuleles easily seen from the hallway.  A former student (I recognized him but couldn't remember his name) asked why they were there, asked if he could play one and talked about how much nicer it was than the one he had from his grandfather. (this was a $40 uke- he must be playing on a log.)  I told him how much they cost and that I could order one if he wanted one.  But then I said maybe he should try new strings on his, that makes all the difference and I offered to bring him a set next week.

He was grateful and in an amazingly polite older than his years way, thanked me, shook my hand and introduced himself as Justin.  I said "I know you Justin Black (I remembered his last name once I heard his first) I was your elementary music teacher, Mrs. Terry.  I cut my hair"

Justin freaked the hell out.  He was so excited.  Mrs. Terry!  I can't believe it!  You were such an inspiration to me- I play ukulele and guitar now because of you! I'm in two bands- a heavy metal and a punk band. Wow!  I can't believe it. etc. etc.etc. What an absolute gift that was.

Just the day before I was listening to the giggles of kindergarteners playing "Open them Shut them" without any words,  It was one of "the moments." Perfect response, perfect giggles, perfect start to kindergarten music.  That also felt like such a gift.  Today it was re-gifted in knowing that it can lead to the likes of a Justin response.














No comments: