Saturday, June 23, 2012

Orange you glad?



I went shopping for clothes for the Big Trip in July. I wanted comfy good clothes with a fit that wouldn't distract me.  Enter the broomstick skirt.  I was made for that style.

Enter Aunt of Sophanne.  Whereas I lean toward greens and maroons, she does not.  She joined me in my quest for good travel clothes and now I own more orange (2 skirts, 2 tops) than I ever have in my entire life.  All I can keep saying to myself is Orange?  Really? And yet I keep looking around and people are wearing it.  Orange.

This morning I was drinking coffee on the porch and realized that drinking coffee on the porch is just like walking the dog at the river only you have coffee and you don't have to walk.  Oh yes, my summer is full of stunning insight.

I am reading a book called "Gifts of the Crow."  Non-fiction about how crows and ravens and that family of birds are really the monkeys and dolphins of the bird world.  Who knew?

I was hoping it would be more anecdotal and less scientific-(with brain and nerve function descriptions) but so far not so much.  I was also hoping for some advice on getting to know the crows in our neighborhood but no luck yet.

My clarinet (my major instrument in college) has returned from an overhaul.  My face is in no shape to play for any length of time but I thought I'd see if I could do something about that.  Killing two birds with one stone,  so to speak, I think I'll take it outside and see if the crows come


4 comments:

roxie said...

Using a clarinet to call crows? Cool!

Orange is very hot this summer. and broomstick skirts are divine! Good shopping.

Mountain Mama said...

Yeah, I was noticing a lot of orange when I went into a dress shop this spring. And you know how I love a broomstick skirt!

When I was in 7th grade my family went to Europe. It was before "The Wall" came down. We went into East Berlin for the day. They didn't get very many tourists, and we definitely turned some heads walking down the street. When I saw a lady taking our picture, I really started looking around. I remember what I was wearing- dark teal shorts with a bright teal shirt with yellow lettering. As I looked around, I noticed everything was drab in East Berlin. The cars. The clothes. The shops. Everything.

Anyway, luckily E. Berlin no longer exists and you have some lovely clothes for your trip! :)

kmkat said...

Broomstick skirts are great. Orange? I have zero orange. Not so good with Scandinavian coloring.

Yarnhog said...

I'm afraid I'm going to need photos. I love orange, despite my red hair. But I don't know what a broomstick skirt is and it sounds like something I must have.