Monday, January 03, 2011

The Fisherman's Yarmulke

(and yes I did have to check the spelling of yarmulke

Mr. Sophanne was shopping for a toboggan (another word I had to spell check-they say that spelling is the first thing to go) at a local crap store last week and couldn't find one. I said it's stupid to buy one when I can make you one that is warmer and fits better. He looked skeptical (maybe it was the sharpie adult surprise sweater that had him worried.)

I presented to him three shades of Cascade from the stash and he picked a dark maroon/brown sort of color. Last night I had him try it on to see how much more length was required and as I began to knit again he asked if I could make the top a different color and did I have any lavender. It so happens I did and the finished object looks like this-




He's pretty tall so I doubt anyone will see the color change when he is standing up. He thinks it will be a fashion statement. I have no comment-I was just happy to change colors during all of that k1p1 ribbed hat (Charlene Schurch's fisherman's cap)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can call it a "kippah" (key-puh) too. Easier to spell :-)

Anonymous said...

And, he looks darned spiff, too!

roxie said...

I thought a toboggan was a sort of sled that you sit on and slide down snowy hillsides. I was impressed as hell that you offered to knit one. The finished product looks a lot like a toque. Except for that snazzy color accent. He totally rocks! And he's lucky to have you.

Yarnhog said...

I've never heard toboggan used to mean a hat, either, so I was totally confused about how you were going to knit one. I mean, not that I wouldn't try, but, you know.

stephanie said...

I love that he asked for lavender!

Carrie K said...

I am unconvinced by the internet research. A toboggan is a sled.

(I'm guessing that if I thought it was a hat all along, I'd be unconvinced on the other side. ;)

Nice cap!! Love the accent color.

Carol said...

Excellent work! I need to make hubby one of these too!