Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's the Little Things

Hear ye! Hear ye! This evening I had 20 stitches on a very simple lace-like scarf of 21 stitches. Instead of ripping the whole thing out in disgust, I worked my way out from the center of the pattern and found the missing yarn over. I'm pretty sure I could hear fireworks in the background.

Hear ye! Hear ye! Hear ye! There are three more knitters on the planet and they are all BOYS (a fourth and 2 fifth graders.) While BoyzKnit2 was not their first choice for an "after school enrichment class," they all seemed pretty pleased with themselves in the end. One was mostly just relieved that he didn't have to be in the cheerleading class. Apparently a form-filling adult in his house thought if they selected absurd second and third choices, he would be sure to get the first choice-archery. (Not that there's anything wrong with male cheerleaders- but they haven't found their way to rural WV yet.) Knitting has pointy sticks like archery and you don't have to do any splits so Kenny was pleased.

In other news- at a certain school- the teachers were having an a.m. faculty meeting. Students (grade Pre-K-5) entered the building at 8:30 a.m. (as always.) The leader of this meeting, rather than dismissing the teachers to their respective classrooms, closed the door to the meeting room so that everyone could hear better. Someone near and dear to your hearts (after waiting for about 5 minutes) declared pointedly "There are unattended children in the classrooms." The meeting continued for a few more minutes and teachers were dismissed.

In seemingly unrelated news, the bottom number of my blood pressure clocked in at 120 at the dr.'s office on Monday. I've got some drugs now. The dr. had the usual "if we knew what caused high blood pressure, we'd be looking for ways to cure it rather than just treat it." I am here to suggest that high blood pressure is caused by other people.

Knitting news- 1/2 a felted citrus tea cozy is done and KNQDebbie taught me to do duplicate stitches. Next week at knit night we're all making entrelac balls. I hope I remember to bring my camera.

19 comments:

Jenn said...

I swear, high blood pressure IS caused by other people. Other people and their stupidity!

And also, haha, you said "balls."

Anonymous said...

Huh! And here I was just reading Cat Bordhi's PDF about why knitting in schools is yayful. Synchronicity.

Missing knit nights lately. Sigh.

flutter said...

entrelac balls just sound painful :P

Mary Kathryn said...

Ack! Your door-closing tale made me shiver uncomfortably, remembering when DT would do the exact same thing at our staff meetings and no one was brave enough to question the unattended children tearing down the school walls. We even started having our meetings at 7:45, rather than 8:00 to avoid that problem. Of course, it never did work... the meetings just ended up being 45 instead of 30 minutes and always ended with hallway mayhem anyway.

Ack!!!

YawnOver said...

You definitely had (entrelac) balls to speak up at that meeting. I think the person that held that meeting should contribute to your bp medication fund.

Good luck with the boyknit group. More knitting can only be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Kenny was very happy he didn't have to do splits! Those 3 new boy knitters did a fantabulous job!! Very impressive.

Congrats on your determination with the yarn over!

Oh and you need to teach me enterlac. It look so neat!

Sunshine said...

Definitely want to see the tea cozy when it is done. Coworker has a teapot collection and would love to try it, if it is easy enough for a novice.
Oh yes, hbp runs in the family, sorry!

Mag said...

As a fellow sufferer of hypertension, I agree wholeheartedly that it is caused by other people. So did Jean-Paul Sartre. LOL!

Yvonne said...

I agree with Jenn! Migraines are also caused by other people, at least my migraines are. Or maybe these aren't migraines but just stress headaches.

Glad you have drugs...I would hate to think you weren't being treated for that. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Yay for figuring out the missed yo! Yay for BoyznKnitting! (That's kinda like boysenberry but cuter.) Was the meeting leader a classroom teacher? I suspect not.

That hypertension thing is definitely caused by idiots and bad drivers. And occasionally by husbands and/or offspring. Not that I have any personal experience in that area, you understand.

Haley said...

love that there are more knitting boys in the world now. i hope my boys will join them one day. so what exactly is an entrelac ball? i've been meaning to try an entrelac project. you'll have to let me know how it goes.

Haley said...

love that there are more knitting boys in the world now. i hope my boys will join them one day. so what exactly is an entrelac ball? i've been meaning to try an entrelac project. you'll have to let me know how it goes.

Kim said...

BALLS! I want a photo of you holding your entrelac balls with the orange tea cozy on your head.

Just tell the boys that a man who knits is a total chic magnet/dude magnet.

Erin said...

I love that the class is called BoyzKnit2. That just pleases me.

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
janna said...

Entrelac balls? Scary! And yay to finding your missing yarn over!

Lydee said...

hear hear hear!

Mary Beth said...

Goodness! Say an innocent word like balls & watch all the gutterminds giggle & quip. LOL! Love knitters. We are not uptight or frigid. Very open.

Great for those knitting boys. I have some who like to come & lurk in my Friday class, but refuse to try it yet. I tell them that they get to talk to the teen girls without needing an excuse for an hour. Why not knit??

Carol said...

oh yes, Other people make my blood pressure skyrocket regularly....