Wednesday, October 15, 2008

completely unrelated




I wanted to title this post "non sequitur" but really struggled with the spelling and didn't want to look stupid until the actual post.

Above is another Mr. Sophanne shot from working on the railroad.

On the other hand (the unrelated part) there's my job. At my school I see some kids twice a week. I see other kids 4 times every 3 weeks. There is one little glitch in the schedule that allows all 15 classes in the building cycle through my room and extra class every 6 days. While I have a guess, there is never any real certainty as to which class will be cycling in on a given day (complicated by the fact that I teach there 4 full days a week and the cycle goes over every day of the week).

We call this class "exploratory." I use the time to do things I might not otherwise have time to do. Over the past 2 months we've been making cool water/oil waves in water bottles to go with the water theme that's part of music class this year (my decision)

Having finished most of the waves I was faced with the next thing to explore. We've been exploring the microphone. If you want to crack a lacka yourself up and a half, slowly lead young children to a microphone. They will be afraid at first. In fact if you just start teaching school by talking into a microphone, they listen a little closer. I'm sure there's an entire sociological study based on this phenomena. BUT... once they get a taste of it and realize that it's not going to implode in their hands their imaginations start to go.

It started with "it's raining cats.." (they were being weather forecasters- possibly connecting to the water theme- forgetting the dogs.) Then it rained shoes. Then I was interviewed about what I was going to do when it started raining shoes. (duh.) Then it rained bombs. Maybe I should have not let this happen but you know, they see enough about war in their lives (it's been going on for nearly their whole lives). I was interviewed about what I was going to do then. I said, "Eat some ice cream."

I was also asked what I would do if King Kong came to life and if Godzilla came and wanted to battle him followed by a pterodactyl that scientists would recreate who would want to eat all of them. I let the interviewee know that K.K. and G were now good friends- they just vacationed together in Hawaii and that there was no way the pterodactyls were coming back.

Later we were told by another forecaster that it was raining cauliflower and we all better hurry up and start eating caulifuckers really fast. Fortunately I was the only one who heard what I was hearing. O.k. I might not have the scenery- but I've got some laughs now and again.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

Raining cauliflower? Sounds like a page from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Love the zany kid ideas.

Turtle said...

lol, i was also thinking cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Caulifuckers! That's what I should have called it when my momma wanted me to eat it. I'd have been slapped (rather correctly too), but that's one funny group o' kids!

Jennie said...

What a gorgeous shot!

Kim said...

Caulifuckers indeed! Mr. Sophanne is the Ansel Adams of the rail road. That photo is gorgeous!!!

Haley said...

aren't kids the greatest. when i taught 3rd grade, i kept a complaint jar on my desk. that way, when children had a complaint, they could simply write it down and put it in the jar instead of interrupting the class to complain/tattle. i once got two complaints from the two smallest girls in my class. They said, "Courtney says we are small because we pass gas." "Courtney says that when we fart, we shrinks." You just can't make up stuff like that.