Saturday, September 03, 2011

Scheming...

The Swatch
Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool size 3 needles
garter, stockinette, moss stitch, double moss
I hate it when I decide to take photos in the dark of night.


The Stash
Elsbeth Lavold- a maroon and a blue jean sort of blue.
Thanks for that sale, WEBS.


The Plan
Based on a sweater that I wore endlessly.
Everything dark will be the maroon in stockinette
Everything not dark will be the blue in a single moss stitch.


The Math
Anyone who wants to figure out how to reduce 30 stitches evenly over 80 rows, email me in a few hours. I'm sure I'll get it by then. There's a great calculator on knitty but it wanted me to adjust for hips, waist and bust and it didn't accept the fact that my waist and bust are nearly identical. Hopefully Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English will be kinder to me.



The Cake
Didn't happen yet- it's too hot to bake a cake.

The Neighborhood Racetrack
I bravely put on my teacher face and asked that junior no longer ride roughshod through our driveway gravel and into the mud puddle (caused by a spring) at the bottom of our front yard. So far so good but I'm not holding my breath.

The Family
Lil' Liza went for her first ride in Gilda. While she seems to approve, she looked a little overwhelmed by the amount of space in the hatchback. Mr. Sophanne is experiencing some unpleasant dental pains. I miss him when he is sleeping pain away to the background sounds of college football.

9 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I have some Silky Wool I keep wanting to use. I've even swatched with it. I just can't seem to get started on anything. I think your design is going to be beautiful. I started to work out your decreases, but then my brain started to bleed, so I stopped.

Marie said...

I am having the same dental problems as your Mr. I cannot have it taken care of. I am taking 800 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours and it is keeping the pain at bay. It may help him too.

Anonymous said...

I admire you. That is way too much math for me. Give me a pattern that has my size already calculated and I'm a happy camper! Can't wait to see the finished product.

roxie said...

That's going to be a wonderful sweater. Good job!

Hope Mr. Sophane gets those dentals tended. Unremitting pain is exhausting.

JelliDonut said...

I'd offer mathematic help, but you'd probably end up with a pair of pants, so I won't.

Anonymous said...

You decrease 2 stitches -- one at each end of a right-side row -- every 5.71 rows. Obviously, you cannot do that (how exactly do you knit .71 rows?). so you will have to fudge it a bit.

This will work:
Reduce 2 st at each end of the following rows (assuming that even-numbered rows are the right-side rows; if not, pretend they are): 0, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 40, 44, 50, 56, 62, 68, 74, 80. That gives you 15 decreasing RS rows, and 15 decreasing RS rows (= 30 total rows) x 2 st per decreasing row = 30 st decreased total. It won't be exactly even -- there are only 4 rows from 40 to 44 -- but it is the best you can do. I put the *squeezed* decreasing rows roughly in the center of the 80 rows, between row 40 and row 44, but you could do it anywhere in the 80 rows. Just remember you are decreasing every 6th row except once, where you decrease after 4 rows, then return to decreasing every 6 rows.

Anonymous said...

Heh. If that is clear as mud, email me and i'll try to do a better explanation.

Carol said...

Math?!?!?!?! ::runs away screaming::

Anonymous said...

LOVE silky wool! Wash that swatch before you get too far with your calculations girl! That stuff spreads a bit. Still my favorite wool though!

SDIPE is an awesome book! You're going to end up with a good sweater and learn a buttload with the calculations. She walks you right through them and you are an intelligent woman.

As for a cake, I suggest you bookmark the cake here - it's easy and super delish:

http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2009/02/my-favorite-cake-period/