Saturday, January 24, 2009

colloquialisms

There will be fiber content here someday. I'm not sure when. I can't make any promises. I'm doing stuff. I just haven't taken any pictures. And just talking about it is a drag.

This evening in the car Mr. Sophanne and I had a conversation about a driver who wasn't sure if they wanted to pass us on the right or not.

He called him a "doomflatchie." I told him I thought that was lame and that in such circumstances, "Asshat" (I think I took this from Joan, the FairyGodKnitter but I could be wrong)

He asked if (phonetically spelled) "kanickahbockah" was any better. I said "Asshat" ruled but if he needed one without obsecenity he could use "kaknuckle-head."

I still say Asshat rules- as it reminds me of another blogger's "dumber than a box of hair" (wish I could remember who said this first.)

Got any favorites- feel free to make them up. It can be our end of January-let's get February over with entertainment

12 comments:

Cindy said...

"Head like a box of rocks." "Elevator doesn't go to the top floor." "A few bricks short of a load." "Not the brightest crayon in the box". "Not the sharpest tool in the shed."
How'm I doin'????

Yarnhog said...

As Southern California drivers, we run into a lot of "residual pinhead slowing"--which is when traffic stops for miles because of a car parked on the shoulder, an accident that has been cleared for hours, or a highway patrol car stopped on the side of the road. My husband has a theory that traffic operates on the principles of fluid dynamics, and a slow-down of only one mile per hour at the front of a line of traffic translates into a complete stop several miles back.

Anonymous said...

One beer short of a six-pack. (Hey, I live in Wisconsin!) Not the brightest bulb on the tree/sharpest knife in the drawer. Dumber than a box of rocks. Doesn't have the sense God gave grass. One sandwich short of a picnic.

I must encounter a lot of dumb people...

Anonymous said...

my fav is "a few french fries short of a happy meal" Don't know why that one sticks out for me but I got a good belly laugh the first time I heard it!!!

Anonymous said...

I definitely think "asshat" is a Joan-ism. :) My husband and I were laughing at an edited movie on tv today, realizing how many times the phrase "Forget you!" is used instead of it's stronger counterpart. We decided that we're going to use it as a swear word from now on. See if we can get its real life use up to the same usage as it is in edited for television films. Grins.

Mag said...

In those incidences where sheer genius is on display, such and astute use of brainpower that we can barely perceive where or how the spectacular thinking and actions are coming from, we usually yell out,
"Look a the big brain on Brad!"

Extra points and brownie buttons for getting that obscure reference. Not a colloquialism unless you live in popular cultureland.

Kim said...

Dickwad is a perennial favorite. Out in NJ we say dumber than a bucket of hair.
Doomflatchie? Isn't that a type of screwdriver?

Mag said...

Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction in one nasty murder scene.

Lydee said...

i like kaknuckle head.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

My NJ mother-in-law calls people 'Jah-bone-eez' who pull moves like that. I prefer 'Fucktard' when I am behind the wheel:)

YawnOver said...

I think asshat is a good choice. I usually use its cousin, but with great emphasis on the first syllable: A-S-S-h*le! I think it's because I learned to drive in Massachusetts...

Carol said...

Dough brain is a perennial favorite at my house.....