Saturday, October 21, 2017

This week's experiment

So the recipe of the day was  Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra- which is kind of hilarious since today was also the day I went and had my tata's examined.)

Red potatoes, lemon, garlic (6 cloves!) red pepper flakes, tahini and fresh cilantro.  No cilantro to be found.  I bought some cilantro in a tube.  And then forgot to add it.  No wonder they tasted bland (I only just realized I forgot to add it as I posted this.  I may be able to squeeze a little taste into it yet.)  Those facts combined with the fact that I bought walmart red potatoes and its no surprise it wasn't may favorite experiment ever.   The cilantro would have cut the overwhelming tahini feel.  There are three potatoes left- I may try it again.

There are red lentils in the crockpot.  The tata squeezing place is right next to the middle eastern grocery store and I sort of  bought some stuff.  Cracked wheat, red lentils, more green lentils, ghee, medjool dates (5 lbs!) another container of tahini.  The dates are for the brownies.  As they last forever it was easier to buy in bulk.

The ghee is to spice the red lentils- I'll eat them in tortilla shells for dinner.

There will be hummus and carrots for the game tonight, red lentils for dinner and I'll likely get to the brownies tomorrow.  It's just so sticky and messy.  They are a must have though.  There were no healthy late night snacks to nibble on last week and I accidentally sleep walked and ate an ice cream bar.

There are also bananas and honey crisp apples to have as a back up.  I finally made a master list of all ingredients that I always forget at the store so this weeks shopping trip was pretty thorough.  I figure I'll experiment with bulgar later on.

Again, adventures aren't so bad when you don't lose so much money when you have to toss it.


2 comments:

kmkat said...

I googled for a recipe for the Lebanese Spiced Potatoes. Now I need to get me some cilantro ;-)

sunshine said...

Accidentally sleep walked for an ice cream bar! Hmmmmm! I will have to use that as my excuse for eating late night snacks!