Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pknit Pknight

knit night knit night how I love my knit night
knit night knit night, it's so much fun.

So at the end of the day I was a little not so spunky because I realized that the state of West Virginia is paying me to have 1st graders move like flies and frogs as they learn about high and low and the relation it has to large and small instruments.

Then, I went to knit night.

Ruth's hat looked great but she wasn't there to try it on- hence no pictures

The yarn store employees realized that every time a new person comes to knit night, I introduce myself and say "I love this yarn store." They made me say, "My name is Becky and I'm a yarnaholic." Then they all said in unison, "Hi Becky." It so cracked me up.

The offered me a blue vest and a smiley face as the yarn store meeter greeter but I said I'd knit my own to save them the trouble and that I'd prefer to be the poster child. Yes, silliness ensued in spite of Mr. DoThisDoThat.

I got little knitting done, as I was trying to recover (via LYS spending spree) from the realization of what my job really is. I did get enough yarn to finish the CPH. I got a couple of new books and some knitting wisdom from Debbie which will just have to wait for tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about people telling others how to run things. It happens a lot at the Yoga Studio where I (used to/will soon) work. In DC, you get a lot of people moving down from NYC, so the bossiness is always preceded by, "In New York..." And I always want to say, "if I cared how people do it in NY, I'd live there. Notice how I don't live there?"

I try to remind myself that in these situations, the person is usually well-meaning - people want the shop/studio owner to succeed afterall. But yeah, it's hard to listen to over and over and over.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand a know-it-all! Last time we had a new person at our SnB, she introduced herself as "Hi, I'm BlahBlah and I'm a yarn addict." Then we went around and introudced ourselves AA style. Too funny!. This new person was very nice and not a know-it-all.

Yarnhog said...

Your job isn't teaching six-year-olds to move like flies and frogs--it is introducing children to a lifelong joy in and appreciation for music. It's noble and important. Learning is supposed to be fun!

Anonymous said...

I love knit night, I wish I could go everyday. Really I would be happy with once a week.

Sharon said...

I'm fond of the bumpersticker "you can always tell a know-it-all, but you can't tell him very much." (ok, so I substituted "know-it-all" for the word "alcoholic", and I've also seen the word "Norwegian" used in that expression.) People who have all the answers monopolize the conversation. A good way to handle that might be to start talking to someone else about something completely different, then eventually more people will join in. The big mouth may or may not get the message, but it couldn't hurt.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am a usually talkative person, but I've quite going to my knitting group because several people are so loud and dominant it just becomes unpleasant!! My fear is that I'm actually THAT person and I don't realize it!:)

Olga said...

Yeah, I have the same fear as ADD, I quit going to my knit group at a bookstore because this hag acted like she was in charge and we had to bow and scrape to her greatness in knitting. Seriously, she was workin MY corner and it annoyed me. Actually, I could of put up with it but she was mean to new knitters and that just ain't right.