Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

If you want to turn a skein of yarn into two relatively equal sized balls, get yourself a Shakespeare Line Counter for $10 at your nearest fish tackle shop. I haven't needed this but maybe someday if I am patient enough to do 2 socks at a time on circulars, I will.

If you're planning on frogging the YOKE of an unnamed sweater (after it's done sitting in time out for a good long time) and there are 200+ stitches on a size 5 needle, when you get to the "tinking put it back on some needles" part where it feels like every single stitch is going to dissolve before your very eyes, tink with a smaller sized KNEEDLE!!!! DOH!

If you love making felt hats and wonder how in the world you can block them without smelling like a stinky sheep as they dry on your head, consider the recycled glass head

These may all be Doh! moments from the desk of the obvious to some of you but isn't it fun to watch me wander haplessly through the world of knitting?

Speaking of said, as yet unfrogged sweater (I might make the trip to the pond a nit nite project for moral support), one knit knite friend asked how it was coming and I told her it "was in time out." I must have said it with some of my teacher like authoritative mojo as if "time out" was an official knitting term of some kind and not as if I was really saying, "I'm so pissed at that sweater I can't stand the sight of it right now," because she said "what does that mean?"


The words of wisdom above came from All-Wise (but in a good way) Debbie at the Knit Shoppe. Ruth of 5elemenknitr fame has great Tippa Tuesdays if you're looking for some more "doh!" moments.

10 comments:

Carrie K said...

Time Out is an official knitting term, isn't it? It is in my house. My projects are in it often enough. ;)

Mr. Dothis&that sounds repellant. I myself LOVE to hand out advice but it's all FWIW. And if I'm killing the vibe, which knock on wood, I don't, I'd hope I'd have the good sense to shut up or someone would kick me. Fun is fun! If I wanted to attend a lecture, I'd've signed up.

Jennie said...

Great tips. :)

YawnOver said...

Line counter? Great idea, I never would have thought. I just figured out that I could use the diet scale to weigh them, though, so obviously I'm a little behind the times myself. Love the Mr. D stories. Keep 'em coming. Booger in a punch bowl, hehe.

Anonymous said...

I just told my husband I needed a Shakespear line counter. I think he was ready to jump up and get it immediately.

Shameka said...

I would love to get a line counter. Now the better question is, where am I going to find a fish tackle shop in New York City???? Doh!!! I can order it online. Hehe!!

Anonymous said...

hee hee a fishing rod...

Olga said...

ahh, doing all that high tech figuring out would spoil the fun of just knitting by the seat of your pants!

Anonymous said...

Putting a project in "time out" is an official knitting term. I'm grateful I haven't had to punish any WIPS with a time out in a long time. On the other hand, I had a few WIPS just languishing and I'm not ready to call them UFOs. I love the recycled glass head! Booger in the punch bowl. Love it. I've got to put that term to use.

Anonymous said...

Hmm 'time out'? I guess i'm going to have to label that box in the back of my closet as the 'time out' box now lol.
Too bad you can't put the MrDoThisnDoThat in one!

Lydee said...

Oh my freakin' gosh! The mood I'm in, I probably would have bit his head off...

Blew the whole group vibe like a booger in the punch bowl! LOVE it! I must use that saying. I have a few boogers in the punch bowl in 5th grade...