Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Just Say No


Here is a list of advantages to a Zumba glow party-

It's dance.
It runs for an extra half hour.
It raises money for a good cause.

Here are the reasons a Zumba Glow Party might not be for you.

It's dark.
There are swirling disco lights.
There are three times as many people there.
It's loud and you forgot your ear plug.

I went.  I wore my glow stick bracelets.  I made jokes with zumbafriend Amy about paying attention to personal space.  We laughed at the girl who always takes selfies in front of the mirror before each class. She had clearly spent some time decking herself out in glow.  We tried to follow the guest instructor even though it was too dark to really see anything.  Then we followed our regular instructor. And though we mostly knew those moves, it was much more difficult in the dark.  Then I went home.  After 1/2 an hour.

I like childlike fun as much as the next person.  In fact, possibly more, but this was a contrived version of someone's version of childlike fun- in a "I wish my glow sticks were as cool as hers" king of way.

When I looked at it abstractly, there we were, 40+ adult women standing around in the dark trying to copy the dance moves we couldn't see and yelling and cheering on command.  I just couldn't buy into it.

Suffice it to say that my next birthday party will not be a glow party.



No comments: