Thursday, July 01, 2010

Passions and Hobbies

Today I realized that a person can have both.

My passions are knitting and making good music with kids. I do my best at both. I will spend a great deal of time and money to get better at both. They are the two things that take up most of my creative brain thinking time.

Lately I've ventured into cooking and gardening. I do not feel an overwhelming passion for either. I wouldn't want to do either as a profession, but sometimes I have fun while doing them. I'm calling that a hobby. Too much time with either and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be fun anymore.

Today I hobbied. I extended the "garden"



I bought some cake doilies



and I got an almost complete set of these cookbooks at the thrift store for $4.50-



I already have #2- #7 and #8 are missing. I think my mom has the set but I'm pretty sure it would cost more than $4.50 to send them. Maybe she'll dig out seven and eight. The good thing about these is that they look alike if you don't look too closely so Mr. Sophanne won't know how many books I actually brought into the house today.

And I bought these:



Jason (at this blog) blogs about drawing every person in New York. His simple pen and ink drawings inspire me with every post in an "I can do that... Can I do that?" kind of way. It's another one of those fleeting whimsies that you'll either hear more about or you won't.

I am fairly certain that without this blog and the the blogs you write, most of these hobbies would become another one of those things I'll never do. So hey blogland friends- thanks for reading my blog- having blogs of your own, and inspiring me to have adventures.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

And, you, in turn, inspire us!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see those dollies in action.

roxie said...

welcome to Blogland. Hope to see you here often. It's lots of fun!

Yarnhog said...

I've done lots and lots of things I probably never would have tried without other people's blogs. I love the richness and variety it adds to my life.

Mountain Mama said...

Did you put in any new plants? Where'd you get the rocks?

Mountain Mama said...

PS- When you have enough chives that you can chop some off and not kill the plant, I have a great easy recipe for "tuna rollups" for you- and you can combine 2 of your hobbies!!!

Becky said...

I love the rocks in your garden!

Haley said...

love your new look. enjoy your new hobbies and your old passions!