Friday, December 11, 2009

That's Frahnken-steek

My oh so favorite movie Young Frankenstein is on AMC at this very moment. Oh how that movie makes me laugh at every instant.

It's now been 2 work weeks that Mr. Sophanne has been w/out transmission in his vehicle. Dealership-GM rep negotiations continue. This evening I called my 9th grade buddy Miss Mags and told her "I got the car for tomorrow!" and we'll be going for a Red Lobster lunch and a Barnes and Noble Spree. Spree for her. Restraint for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Let me tell you this about steeking. Practice steeking is MUCH more relaxing than "real steeking." Practice steeking right after going to the workshop to learn to do it is a laugh, a party, a victory, a dance with wolves (is that a good thing?)

Knitting for two weeks only to cut a column of stitches out is just a little scarier even if you've seen it work a bazillion times (or maybe just twice.)

Before




After



No, it's pronounced Eyegore bwah hah hah hah....what hump.....walk this way I know you don't need a play by play but it's so so funny.

Anyway- the pictures suck but you can see that I took the plunge, cut the sweater and it seems to be staying in one piece. I've yet to cut the sleeves. Donna- I don't think I'll be able to wait until Wednesday.

I also need to read a little more and figure out how Meg Swanson and EZ put this thing together after the steeks. I spent some time mentally processing the steeks as well as the shawl collar but forgot that I'd be connecting the shoulder seams with an i-cord cast off of some sort. I've watched the video but think I better just slow this puppy down and contemplate it's assembly before moving any further ahead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing! What did you do up the sides of the steek? Is that crocheted? How do the stitches not come undone? Can ya wait till Monday afternoon? I work in the am but can come in the afternoon-----I'd like to see the cutting. Sorry, it just amazes me that you (anyone) can cut your (their) knitting. I understand if you can't wait. "I just can't wait to cut my knitting" Sounds a bit strange, yes?

Two quotes come to mind from that movie that seem appropriate before this whole steeking thing:

" For what we are about to see next, we must enter quietly into the realm of genius."

and (hahaha)

"Wait Master, it might be dangerous... you go first."

Cindy said...

That movie is a classic. Your steeking looks amazing. I am so impressed. I will try that someday, but I actually need to knit something first. Two weeks without a transmission? Sounds like GM is blackmailing you. What a surprise!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That sweater is gonna be gorgeous and also a major achievement for you. Go, you!