Friday, August 10, 2007

Heat, It's Hot!

This afternoon's trip to the Greene County Fair revealed that it's not just me affected by the recent heatwave.

The first indication was at the entry gate. Admission may be $8.00 but it's free if there's no one there to collect the money.


To my immediate right was this sculpture(?) that had seen better moments. Any guesses from seasoned fairgoers as to the purpose this thing might have served?


The building housing the fiber exhibits had less than an inviting look. It's a little worse than last year when the doors were locked but all of the exhibitors were inside fiddling with their work.


While there were a few food stands open, (likely for the 4Her's taking care of their animals) none of the usual fare was available.


On the upside, I didn't have any carny operators eyeing the cash in my wallet.


The animals told the story.





And if that weren't enough, as I tried to snap a final picture of empty picnic tables under the tent, my camera reported the following-

WARNING!!! BATTERY EXHAUSTED

In fairness to fair organizers, I found out later that things really start kicking at 4:00 (it was only 2:00) Is this the case with all fairs?

6 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Not in my experience, but then, it's been in the mid-70s for weeks here (sorry--trying without success not to gloat). Even if I didn't feel bad for you, I would still feel terrible for that poor, miserable sheep in the last picture. I can feel the heat from here.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fair goer but I would assume that they would get started bright and early.
No clue what the sculpture is.

Olga said...

I think the zombies came and ate everyone.Yep, thats what happen.

HDW said...

Good guess on my blog, but I would have to say NOPERS!!! LOL.........I didn't figure this would be such a stumper! Sorry about the fair..........But love the pic of the poor sheepy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Was that the first day of the fair? Ours opens at 4pm (or maybe 6pm) the first day but at 10am the next three days.

I think that *sculpture* might be the frame for a tent that got the worst of a tussle with the wind. It seems to have four uprights, none of which are truly upright any more.

Anonymous said...

Such a sad fair! The county fair I attend every year starts at about 11:30 am. Very odd. That sheep looks wilted with the heat!